coconut avocado ice-cream

By October 05, 2014 ,

So I know it's Fall and technically pumpkin season, but I had a hankering for avocados the other night and something a bit more tropical and delicate.

I rummaged through my pantry in search of something that would fulfill my craving and came across these perfectly ripe avocados, practically beckoning for me to pick them up. I remembered an avocado ice-cream recipe I had come across earlier and quickly went to work preparing the ingredients.


This recipe is all natural and very healthy, but it's also extremely rich from the fat in the avocado and the coconut cream. It's a perfect for indulging in when you're craving a little Haagen Daz or Ben & Jerry's, but don't want to commit to the calories. 



I scooped out the soft avocado flesh into my trusty blender. Emptied half a can of coconut cream and a squeeze of lemon to cut the heaviness of this recipe. A pinch of salt too and a dash of vanilla, to bring out the flavors.

Recipe
2 Avocados
1/2 Can of coconut cream
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Pinch of salt
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Sugar if needed


After blending, you end up with this smooth and rich mixture.

I was tempted to just scoop it up from my blender at this point and eat it like a pudding, but I showed extreme self restraint and decided to wait.


The messy part is pouring it into the ice cream machine. But this is the fun part. Watching your mixture slowly freeze up as it turns into ice-cream.

I bought my maker off amazon for $30 and I'm satisfied with the way it works, but if you don't have an ice-cream maker, simply add a quarter cup of whipping cream into your blended mixture, whip it up using a mixer and then pour it into a pan before placing it in the freezer. You don't even need to scrape it every 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't freeze into a solid block. The air that incorporates because of the whipping cream makes for a decadently soft consistency.


30 minutes of whirring later, you're left with this smooth "ice-cream".

This recipe is deliciously creamy and sweet, but also a bit tangy from the lemon juice, so it's not too heavy.


You can also add almonds and pistachios to the mix - maybe even a dash of pumpkin spice, if you're feeling particularly adventurous and in a seasonal mood.

You let me know how that goes.

naomi

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Replies