HAPPY ST. PATZ | Lavender Matcha Cheesecake

By March 17, 2014

I was sitting at home yesterday, scrolling through instagram, when it hit me that today was St. Patrick's Day!  I quickly sent out a mass text to my friends saying something along the lines of 'I can't believe I almost missed it' and then realized that I don't really care about St. Patz, nor do I have any special plans for the greenest day of the year.

There was a time when St. Patrick's meant not having to fight in class for a spot in the front and green pancakes for breakfast washed down with some un-named liquid. I mostly watched as everyone partook in festivities.  I remember not even knowing that St. Patrick's day celebrations aka, drink till you can drink no more, was a thing in first year, but coincidentally had worn green on that day. Sixth sense maybe? I did celebrate in second year, my friends and I headed out somewhere, but I was reminded the other night that it didn't end so well either. For reasons other than what you would think. 

This year I stayed at home because a) It's Monday, b) It's still Winter Wonderland outside, and c) I don't particularly enjoy the color green. 

Nonetheless, I woke up rather late this morning due to late night chats with some sweet people reminiscing about old St. Patz shenanigans, and had an urge to bake something. Seeing as I have a ton of matcha in my pantry right now, courtesy of my Parent's trip to Hong Kong, I realized that there's really no better time to whip up something green! 






I started off with a base of lavender buds crushed up into a million pieces and then mixed it in with graham crackers and Bordier butter, which I painstakingly brought back with me from Paris.  



Lavender is not the first flavor that comes to mind when you think of things that go well with matcha, but the earthiness of the crushed up leaves pair well with the floral notes that Lavender lends to the dessert. 


Mixed in with eggs, sour cream, vanilla, brown sugar, cornstarch, flour, and matcha powder. It doesn't look particularly tasty at this point.  



I find that mixing with a whisk while the bowl is on top of the stove set to low gives you the smoothest batter possible. Unfortunately, I was impatient today and didn't add the ingredients one by one... so my cheesecake had lumps. 


Oops. 






As my cheesecake cooled in the oven, I ran upstairs to slap on a green mud mask, sticking with the green theme. It's officially more than halfway through March which means that the warm weather will be coming soon! This hasn't been the greatest Winter for my skin, but hopefully nothing a few buffers and buffers won't fix!

I hope everyone had a fabulous time celebrating St. Patz whether you diligently went to class or painted your whole body green!  After all, there are only two types of people in this world, The Irish and those who wish they were. 

naomi

You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Replies

  1. can i have a slice?! it looks delicious!! i would have never thought of lavanda, as you said, but i believe you now! haha


    barbs
    http://300daysofengland.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete