DIY CHILI OIL

By September 25, 2013

After falling in love with Tsuru's Eat the Bits chili oil, I can't seem to get the flavor out of my head. I still regret not picking up a few jars while I was in London, so I thought I would try my hand and concoct my own recipe. I knew that I wanted loads of garlic and scallop flavor, but other than that, I was lost at where to start. 

I scoured the web for techniques used in making hot oil and complied a list of things that seemed to be standard for any recipe. Turns out, most of the ones I found were to make a standard oil, no bits involved, which is no fun. It took a while to find the ones that matched what I wanted to achieve, and I THINK it worked out.



I diced up 3 onions and 32 cloves of garlic and left them out to sit in the fridge for a day. This is to dry them up a bit so they'll fry up nicely. I used a mixture of Canola oil for its high smoking point, and a tiny splash of coconut oil for flavor.

The garlic and onion have to be left in the oil until its start to brown, at which time you can scoop up the bits onto another plate and turn off the heat.



Let the oil cool down for a bit and sprinkle in some red chili pepper until you reach the spiciness you desire. I bought some whole dried chilies form a local Asian market and magic bullet blended it before adding it in.

Let it sit and simmer for 10 minutes.



Turn the heat to low, add in red miso for flavoring, a dash of sesame oil, shichimi powder, dried scallops, the fried onions and garlic as well as sesame seeds.

Bottle it up and ta-dah! Your chili oil is ready.

I've found it best to let it sit and soak in all the flavors for three days. More if possible to allow the flavors time to fully blend. I ended up with two mason jars worth of oil filled to the brim with bits and it was all gone within a week! #sucess. I literally cannot stop scooping it into everything I eat, although I may be biased.

This isn't the traditional way to make chili-oil and I know I have ALOT of garlic and onion, but it's good for you right? Best part about making your own oil is that you can put whatever you want into it. The combinations are endless once you have the basic FOLS procedure down. Fry ingredients, Off Heat to add chili pepper, Low heat to add flavoring, Simmer. Tweak it to suit your recipe.

The only downside to making your own oil is that it might not keep as long as store bought ones due to the fresh ingredients used. But that's okay because it's so mindblowingly yummy it won't last that long anyways.

Full Recipe
2 Cups Canola Oil
1/2 Cups Coconut Oil
3 Medium Sweet Onion
32 Cloves of Garlic
15 Dried Chili Peppers Crushed
10 Dried Scallops
1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds + Dash of Sesame Oil
2tsp Shichimi Powder
3tbsp Red Miso Paste
2-3 Glass Jars

naomi

You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Replies

  1. Oh my gosh this looks so delicious! What a great idea. Thanks you for sharing :)

    xo,
    Mariamma

    ReplyDelete