paris | palais de versailles & angelina's

By August 17, 2013 , ,

When we planned this Paris trip, everyone decided that we would try to take it easy and actually enjoy the trip instead of jumping from one tourist attraction to another. Since this wasn't our first time to Paris, it was more important to be able to try to actually experience what it was like to live here, and not to arrive with a checklist of things to see.

Still. There were definitely a few places that we couldn't resist.





One of the few things I remember from my first trip to Paris was the Chateau de Versailles. It was the first time I had ever been in such an opulent place. The gold gilded rooms, sparkling chandeliers and absolutely sprawling gardens. Everything was so ornate and so grand that it's almost seems unreal.

There are so many things to love about it, but I wish I could travel back to the 18th century to experience what it was like during the reign of Louis XVI. To see the hustle and bustle of the court, and to see how the Chateau operated while it was in use.

But of course, we started off our day at the trusty McD's for breakfast. 

People often stare when I tell them that everytime I go on vacation somewhere out of the country, I always try to fit in one of two meals at McDonalds. I love that the McDonald's in each country has their own special offerings that I can't get in Canada, and it's also comforting to have something so familiar in a place so foreign.

I picked up the McBaguette with Mustard beef, and a box of six macarons since.. I've never seen McDonald's carry macarons.

They weren't great.





The line to enter the palace was unbelievable. It started at the entrance and rolled like a snake all the way to the end of the parking lot. We spent about 50 minutes in the scorching sun just to get past security, and by the time we were through, everyone was exhausted.






These gold gilded doors reminded me of Givenchy's Fall/Winter campaign a few seasons back. Imagine having these in your house!




 The time and effort put into creating all these pieces of art, and the detail in all the trimmings and columns is absolutely dazzling. I don't know the slightest bit about artwork, but this level of intricacy in every inch of the palace is astounding. Plus, the fact that this was all done by hand... the accuracy and precision is unbelievable. It's really unfortunate that things aren't done this way anymore. Everything has become so mechanical and uniform. 





As expected though, by the time we reached the Hall of Mirrors it was well past lunch and my weak ankles were starting to give in, so we had to make another stop for drinks. Thankfully there was an Angelina's ahead of where we were, so we beelined it over.





 I still wasn't feeling 100% better from my cold so I opted for some soup instead of the Mont Blanc. I stole a few scoops from Chloe instead.




My Dad opted for the Tomato Gazpacho Soup and I for the classic French Onion Soup.

This was the first time I've ever had onion soup in France. The ones I've had in North America are more soupy whereas here, the whole bowl was filled with bread dripping in broth. 





And our last stop! The gardens!

I was extremely irritable by then since we had literally spent the whole day walking and my cough was getting worse. The gardens are my favorite though, I would recommend that you try and rent a golf cart if you can. You get to cover much more of the gardens that way, and you can focus on relaxing and enjoying the scenery instead.

All in all an absolutely wonderful day and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to come back again :)

naomi. 

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Replies